Friday, January 11, 2013

The Hobbit: Ordinary Heroes



My husband and I went to see The Hobbit this week.  We really like the books and the movies in the series of the rings.  It was inspiring and adventurous and funny and terrifying at the same time.  I highly recommend it (although not a movie for young children).  

One of the themes that Tolkien and CS Lewis both developed in their books is that of ordinary heroes.  Lewis was interviewed and explained his observation that it is often the ordinary Joe or Jane that is going about their usual routine, and is swept up into adventure-- a life changing, land changing, eternity changing adventure.  They are left changed--they become heroes. 



I love these quotes from +The Hobbit:

Gandalf: "I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone."
Bilbo Baggins: "I should think so - in these parts! We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

Bilbo is forced with the choice--whether to join in the adventure, the fight against good versus evil, the disturbing, uncomfortable, frightening, thrilling, life changing adventure.  Nothing remains the same at the end. He chooses... to go with the dwarves and Gandalf to reclaim the Kingdom and treasure.

Another wonderful quote in this theme of ordinary heroes:
Galadriel: Mithrandir, why the Halfling?
Mithrandir [aka Gandalf]: Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I am afraid and he gives me courage.

The ordinary hero.  What adventures are you being invited to join?  Are they thrilling and terrifying?  Is there a kingdom and a treasure at the end?

No comments:

Post a Comment