Wednesday, March 20, 2013

When Jesus Wept by Bodie and Brock Thoene

There have been authors that have greatly impacted me in my life.  Typically I think this is the result of a merging in time of what God is doing in my life and what the author has to say and reveal.  Everything seems to meet at the right place and time to change me and my outlook forever. 

Bodie and Brock Thoene (pronounced "Tay-nee") have been just such authors for me.  They have written over 45 works of historical fiction, selling over 10 million copies.  Their works have been honored with 8 ECPA Gold Medallion Awards.

Although the topics of their books vary, they have a heart for Jewish history and scripture.  They have published series having to do with World War II and with the establishing of Israel after the war.  They have also published about the Great Depression in the United States and slavery. 

Most recently they have been publishing a series called the A.D. Chronicles which is set in biblical times and centers around familiar scriptural men/women as well as fictional characters.  It is their interpretation, based in history and scripture, of what it was like to live when and where Jesus lived.  

They have just published the first book of a new series.  The series is the Jerusalem Chronicles and the book is When Jesus Wept. The book centers around the friendship between Lazarus and Jesus.  It is my understanding that the Jerusalem Chronicles will begin telling the story of the crucifixion and resurrection, a portion of scripture that the A.D. Chronicles did not develop.

I certainly understand that some people do not like to read fictional accounts based on scripture stories and the history of the time.  I respect that point of view and can see why people may feel wary--concerned that individuals may give the fictional interpretation  the same weight as scripture.  However, keeping in mind that this is an interpretation of the story, the scriptures mean more to me when I can read about what life was like during that time, the history behind different rulers, and the customs of the day.  I just received my copy of When Jesus Wept and began reading.  I can't wait to see what God teaches me through this new offering.

No comments:

Post a Comment