Monday, March 4, 2013

Cloud Frosting: Dairy Free



I am planning my son's 7th birthday party and he has requested a Lord of the Rings party (more on that later).  He also wants a flat chocolate cake decorated with a Lord of the Rings theme. 

I was thinking that to make the cake more interesting, I would pipe some type of marshmallow or whipped cream mixture into the body of the cake.  I have done this with cupcakes and usually make a hole in the cooked cupcake with an apple corer before piping in whatever mixture I am working with.  

Because my son is gluten free and casein (dairy protein) free in his diet, I am always looking for good nondairy frostings.  I found this recipe for Cloud Frosting that is nondairy (I have seen some dairy versions) on Martha Stewart's website. It is described as tasting like a mix between marshmallow and whipped cream.  I think I will try piping it inside the cake, hopefully in a pattern so that each guest gets some inside treat!

Cloud Frosting Recipe:
2 1/2 cups sugar
6 large egg whites, room temperature
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

  •  Make the frosting: In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine sugar, egg whites, water, and cream of tartar. Whisk until foamy. Set bowl over a pan of barely simmering water and whisk until sugar is dissolved and mixture is warm to the touch, about 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer bowl to stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat on high speed until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 12 to 16 minutes. Add vanilla and beat until combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment