Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Ask for the Moon: excerpt from Soul Cries devotional (James 4:2)

Excerpt from Soul Cries devotional, copyright 2012
*2013 National Indie Excellence Award Finalist*


James 4:2 (New International Version)
You do not have because you do not ask God.

As a parent, I have asked God for many things that I have laid at His feet in prayer. However, when I read this verse, I wonder if there are things that I need or desire that I have not even asked for. Are there things, for example, that I don’t believe God for and therefore don’t ask for? Am I limiting my prayers before God in any way? For example, do I ask for the moon? Or, do I ask for things that I think are somehow most possible or realistic? Do I limit myself to things that I think are most holy or legitimate?

I would hate to come before the very Presence of God, and have Him ask me why I believed in Him for so little. I would hate for Him to say that there were things He longed to release in my life or the life of my child that were not released because I didn’t ask and because I believed for too little. I would hate to find out that I’d been self-limiting and therefore had limited the power of God to move in my life.

I want to choose to believe God for abundant goodness. I want to believe Him for “too much,” if that is possible, although I don’t think it is, except in my own limited mind. I choose to ask for the moon, to pray for the impossible, to see a future in places where there seems to be a dead end in the now. I choose to keep asking for more and more goodness from a good God. I pray for more of Him: for more life, for more freedom, for more healing, and for no limits. I pray the same for you, your children, your marriage, and your household.

1. Is there any way that you are tempted to limit God or to limit your requests and prayers? If you were to “ask for the moon,” what would that look like? Ask for it now!

2. I challenge you to honor and worship God by asking and believing for more of His goodness. I know He has more to give us. Let’s ask together!

No comments:

Post a Comment