Interested in Paleo cooking? You might want to check out civilizedcaveman.com, I personally LOVE this recipe on the site for lemon pound cake. I use agave nectar rather than honey and I leave the glaze off. The cake is very moist and not too sweet. I have noticed that the center often seems too soft when I take it out, which I think is a function of the coconut oil which melts easily even at near room temps. I put it in the fridge for cooling and it firms up nicely.
Lemon Pound Cake
- 2 cups almond flour (185 grams)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (63 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda (3 grams)
- 2/3 cup raw honey, melted
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons pure lemon extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- freshly squeezed lemon juice from 2 lemons
- lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 1 vanilla bean pod
- 4 tablespoons raw honey
Lemon Pound Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Prepare a 9×9 baking pan by coating the interior lightly with coconut
- Cut parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan and place it
- over the coconut oil.
- Sift dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir with a whisk to
- Place oil and honey in the bowl of a food processor and process for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Add coconut milk, lemon extract, and lemon zest, and continue to process until well combined.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients and thoroughly combine using a wooden spoon until smooth
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test
- Let cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes
- Remove cake from pan and let cool completely
- While cake is in the oven, cut vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape the beans into a small saucepan.
- Add the vanilla bean pod, lemon juice, zest, and honey to the pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Let cool to room temperature. Remove pod and discard.
- Using a fork, poke several holes in the top of the cake
- Pour glaze over the cake, using a spatula to evenly distribute over the entire cake. Let the cake rest for an hour to fully absorb the glaze.
- Serve immediately or cover and store in the refrigerator.