Monday, October 28, 2013

Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies from realsustenance.com: gluten, grain, egg and starch free


I've been making these chocolate cookies from realsustenance.com lately.  Yum and Yum. 

Check out the original directions below (and then see bottom of post for my own variations). 


  • 2 packed cups Blanched Almond Flour 
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 Tsp. Baking Powder
  • 1/4 Tsp. Salt
  • 1/2 Cup + 2 Tbs Granulated Sugar 
  • 1 Tbs Vanilla Extract
  • 4 1/2 Tbs Room Temperature Butter  (Earth Balance, Goats Butter, Shortening or Coconut Oil)
  • 2 Tbs Applesauce
  • 1-2 bars of Dairy Free Chocolate Chopped into Chunks
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover a large cookie sheet with either parchment paper or a baking mat to prevent sticking.
  2. Chop your bar(s) of chocolate into chunks (as big or as small as you want them).
  3. In the bowl of a stand mixer (by hand should work as well) combine all of the ingredients until the dough comes together stirring in the chopped chocolate last.
  4. Form 12 cookies with your hands into round / flat patties (I made mine 1 inch thick and about 3 inches wide).
  5. Bake 15-16 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool before removing from baking sheet.

My own variations--
I use 1/4 cup agave nectar and 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar.  I like the texture of the cookie a little better this way.  If I don't have applesauce, I actually use one large egg because I do eat eggs.  I use coconut oil and it works out well.  The cookies are great without chocolate chunks or chips as well.  Recently I put in mini-chips and dried cherries.  

No comments:

Post a Comment